Saturday, 20 September 2008

Saving 'Scrappy'


Friday night: Spending time at my friend's house so our girls could get together and we get to scrap, something hit the window and the cat had it in its mouth - well, being an animal saviour of all creatures, my feet didn't touch the ground until I had that little zebra finch in my hands.......I tried to put it on a flower pot for it to fly off but it just 'cheaped' at me and hopped back to my feet - total DISBELIEF! You would think this bird would have scooted off soooo fast or died of shock! NUP - I scooped it up in my hands, and it nestled into them!! Soooooo we put some paper towel in an icecream container and gently placed it in. THEN put in some grain bread and it nearly tore it to pieces trying to get it down his little throat - it was starving! No shock happening here! WHATSmore all these human eyes were staring in at it with two cameras flashing!! - it still devoured the bread! Nevertheless it has come home with us in the ice cream container - next door has an avery with finches in it - so will check that out. But this cute little thing is soooooo tame therefore someone's pet. I've covered it up and it has its little head turned back under its wing to sleep the night away - way way way too cute!! I'm in love with it! Sat morning: Checking this morning, its still alive and splashing its water everywhere. We've still to decide what to do and check with next door. Its a hideously horrible rainy, cold and blowing day. Dont feel like putting that little bird out in that weather!! I know, I know - hopeless!! Check this little 20 second video we took of Scrappy below - it even stops for a little moment, looks at the camera, cocks its little head on the side and then continues eating! LOL video Saturday afternoon: No Aviary next door, its been turned into a greenhouse, so dh managed to find an birdcage up the farm, we went and shopped at our local pet store, and Scrappy is very very happy in her new home! She has the cutest little coconut nest filled with white fluffy feathers (couldnt resist those) !!! What an adventure she's been having! Rags to Riches (probably) LOL!

4 comments:

Julie said...

so sweet just love the name. lol

Belinda Venables said...

I love the name too - I wonder what made you think of that...hehe! ;)

xx

Sar said...

Too cute!!!!

Clare said...

Oh Mandy, what a beautiful rescue story. I am so the same as you, a total animal lover and willing to do anything to help (you will have to come check out my blog about my cats, hedgehogs, foxes...) what a gorgeous little finch too. Im off to check the latest on SCRAPPY!!! hugs Clare xxx